[nSLUG] Inexpensive decibel meter for a project?

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 12:05:25 AST 2015

Good afternoon,

I thought I may had the solution to this, but now it's time for me to ask
around....

I volunteered for a project at work in one of the nursing units, to measure
noise pollution, and maybe even light pollution, over a given night
(exported into say, a CSV/XML spreadsheet), at a patients bedside.  I
figured a Raspberry Pi would be up to the job for that, but apparently not:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18014&p=179448

The budget is in the $100 range, mostly because we don't want a device
people could just walk off with (which is why a phone app isn't looking
like a good option right now).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would work, bonus points being
open source?  Much appreciated.

--
Cheers,
Joel Maxuel