[nSLUG] Thunderbird and line wrap control

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 10:29:55 AST 2015

On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Monte Stevens <montestevens at eastlink.ca>
wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 11:52:11PM -0400, D G Teed wrote:
> > I'm emailing here from gmail.  I use Thunderbird elsewhere, and I need
> > to use HTML format to communicate in the modern world.  I sometimes
> > use alpine as well, but it doesn't suit all situations, such as Exchange
> > meeting
> > invites, embedded media, etc.
>

> You mentioned in your first post that you were getting linebreaks
> where you do not expect them, and in your follow-up post you were
> not able to insert linebreaks.  Perhaps some samples will help to
> illustrate the issues.
>
> Can you post a sample of what you're sending and what you see in
> your sent mail folder.  Source and rendered for each would be good.
>
> From my limited testing with text/html in Thunderbird 38.1 I see a
> that inserting hard linebreaks should be working OK.

Compose:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod
tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore
magna aliqua.
Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation
ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate
velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.
Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident,
sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

The first line should end with "dolore", but this is testing gmail's line
wrap.

I don't have time to play around with this too much, but I seem to have
things working the way I expected.  I upgraded to Thunderbird 38.4
rather than run Icedove in a slightly older version.

I have these settings:

mail.compose.wrap_to_window_width   false
mail.wrap_long_lines                true
mailnews.wraplength                 2000
plain_text.wrap_long_lines          false
view_source.wrap_long_lines         false

Other than wraplength, these are defaults.

> If you are looking for alternate WYSIWYG html-composing MUAs, I can
> suggest Claws Mail.  I'm running 3.11.1; it seems to handle simple
> html mail without difficulty.  I can't comment on the long term
> health of the Claws Mail project.  I can also not comment on its
> suitability to handling Exchange meeting invites, embedded media,
> etc.

I had tried this application about 10 years ago and didn't like the
fonts/display, but I imagine it would have improved since.
I work in a world surrounded by Windows and Mac, so I need to have
tools-set which attempts to correspond with the appearances
and features they have.

I have a feeling do-it-yourself email is going the way of self-built
hovercrafts.  The changes coming on from cellphones, cloud email,
ticket systems and web forums seem to have caused decreased
development efforts for the open source bits.