[nSLUG] Thunderbird and line wrap control

Monte Stevens montestevens at eastlink.ca
Sat Dec 5 14:36:35 AST 2015

On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 11:52:11PM -0400, D G Teed wrote:
> I'm emailing here from gmail.  I use Thunderbird elsewhere, and I need
> to use HTML format to communicate in the modern world.  I sometimes
> use alpine as well, but it doesn't suit all situations, such as Exchange
> meeting
> invites, embedded media, etc.

You mentioned in your first post that you were getting linebreaks
where you do not expect them, and in your follow-up post you were
not able to insert linebreaks.  Perhaps some samples will help to
illustrate the issues.

Can you post a sample of what you're sending and what you see in
your sent mail folder.  Source and rendered for each would be good.

>From my limited testing with text/html in Thunderbird 38.1 I see a
that inserting hard linebreaks should be working OK.

If you are looking for alternate WYSIWYG html-composing MUAs, I can
suggest Claws Mail.  I'm running 3.11.1; it seems to handle simple
html mail without difficulty.  I can't comment on the long term
health of the Claws Mail project.  I can also not comment on its
suitability to handling Exchange meeting invites, embedded media,
etc.

  Monte

Composed in ed, wrapped in fmt.