[nSLUG] Thunderbird and line wrap control

Vlado Keselj vlado at dnlp.ca
Fri Dec 4 06:46:45 AST 2015

Hi,

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015, D G Teed wrote:

[...]
> I'm emailing here from gmail.  I use Thunderbird elsewhere, and I need
> to use HTML format to communicate in the modern world.  I sometimes use
> alpine as well, but it doesn't suit all situations, such as Exchange
> meeting invites, embedded media, etc.

I use pine (i.e., alpine), but I had the same issue.  I am still not sure
if I resolved it appropriately.  This feature seems to be called "flowed
text", it may be indicated in one of the headers of the message, and it is
marked in text by an extra space character at the end of each line.  It is
discussed in RFC 3676.  As mentioned, I am not sure if I completely solved
it, so I am going to repeat this text with spaces removed at the end of
lines:

<REPEATED TEXT STARTS>

> I'm emailing here from gmail.  I use Thunderbird elsewhere, and I need
> to use HTML format to communicate in the modern world.  I sometimes use
> alpine as well, but it doesn't suit all situations, such as Exchange
> meeting invites, embedded media, etc.

I use pine (i.e., alpine), but I had the same issue.  I am still not sure
if I resolved it appropriately.  This feature seems to be called "flowed
text", it may be indicated in one of the headers of the message, and it is
marked in text by an extra space character at the end of each line.  It is
discussed in RFC 3676.  As mentioned, I am not sure if I completely solved
it, so I am going to repeater this text with spaces removed at the end of
lines:

<REPEATED TEXT ENDS>

To continue: This is supposed to be done by alpine, but I am not sure if
it is (thus experiment).  BTW, below is relevant help regarding alpine
with two configuration parameters that need to be set:

FEATURE: Do Not Send Flowed Text

Alpine generates flowed text where possible. The method for generating
flowed text is defined by RFC 3676, the benefit of doing so is to send
message text that can properly be viewed both on normal width displays
and on displays with smaller or larger than normal screen widths. With
flowed text, a space at the end of a line tells the receiving mail
client that the following line belongs to the same paragraph. Quoted
text will also be affected, with only the innermost level of ">"
quoting being followed by a space. However, if you have changed the
"Reply Indent String" so that it is not equal to the default value ",
then quoted text will not be flowed. For this reason, we recommend
that you leave your "Reply Indent String" set to the default.

This feature turns off the generation of flowed text, as it might be
desired to more tightly control how a message is displayed on the
receiving end.

If this feature is not set, you can control on a message by message
basis whether or not flowed text is generated. You do this by typing
^V at the Send confirmation prompt that you get after typing ^X to
send a message. ^V is a toggle that turns flowing off and back on if
typed again. If for some reason flowing cannot be done on a particular
message, then the ^V command will not be available. This would be the
case, for example, if this feature was set, or if your "Reply Indent
String" was set to a non-default value. If the feature "Send Without
Confirming" is set, then the opportunity to control on a message by
message basis whether or not flowed text is generated is lost.

When this feature is not set and you have typed ^V to turn off
flowing, the Send confirmation prompt will change to look like

Send message (not flowed)?

"Strip Whitespace Before Sending" will also turn off the sending of
flowed text messages, but it differs in that it also trims all
trailing white space from a message before sending it.

If alternate editors are used extensively, be aware that a message
will still be sent flowed if this feature is unset.  In most cases
this will be fine, but if the editor has a "flowed text" mode, it
would be best to use that.

---

Regards,
Vlado