[nSLUG] Re: Thumbdrive filenames problem

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Aug 26 03:17:07 ADT 2015

Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 12:14 AM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:
>
>> which leaves rsync still looking good.  Just need to get a thumbdrive
>> formatted with a Linux fs for the purpose.

BTW, creating a Linux fs on a USB thumb drive went fine once I
connected it to a new enough system. Delete vfat partition, create
Linux partition, create ext3 fs. (The system on the box to be backed
is old enough that it doesn't know about ext4 and cfdisk was confused
by the 16G USB drive.) So I did a cp of ~/, appears to be successful,
no errors reported and all filenames have the right case.

Now working on a shell script that will mount the USB drive, verify
its identity, then rsync ~/ to a dir there.

> Have a look at rsnapshot. It is a smart wrapper around rsync to
> automate backups. It uses hardlinks between backups so that each
> backup is a full backup, but the actual space used is only the
> delta.

That would mean that, given:

  /device/monday-backup/foo

on the destination device, if the file remains unchanged on the src on
Tuesday, then:

  /device/tuesday-backup/foo

will be a hard link to /device/monday-backup/foo?

The only time my existing rsync backup (to a HD on a second computer)
gets tedious is when I've moved a bunch of files around, say, moving a
bunch of image files in ~/gr/some-category to several different dirs
~/gr/some-category/sub-category-n for several values of n -- that kind
of thing.  Then (AIUI) rsync has to delete a bunch of dest files and copy
over the same files to new dirs.

I don't see that rsnapshot's link trick would get around that.

Other than fits of reorganizational tidytude, my ~/ normally has only
modest changes over a period of several days.

One way I help that along is to have a user dir, /home/pkg that belongs
to mds (me).  User pkg never logs in.  All software packages go into
/home/pkg, get compiled there if needed.  That never gets backed up on
the assumption that I can always replace it from the net. (Any amateur
code *I* write lives, of course, under ~/.)

The only thing I haven't done is to arrange a backup of /etc/* and
some files in /var/spool and /usr/local/bin where I have some
moderately arcane tweaks -- e.g. some fiddles with files in /etc/mail
to allow using the right smarthost when connected via different ISPs
involving a perl script and an suid wrapper for it.  But that stuff
changes rarely if ever so i could just copy it into an archive dir in
~/.  Should do that.

I'll see how my shell script goes.  If it's problematic, I'll look at
rsnapshot (which I just dl'd while writing this.)

Tnx,
                                                           /V\