[nSLUG] Things to do with a Linksys WRT54GS router

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 23:29:24 ADT 2015

Thanks for the Suggestions, Andrew and Dave.

I started off with DDWRT, got frustrated by the fact that once you disable
DHCP leasing (at least for this build), you lose the web interface.  I got
around that (after a few hard resets) by keeping the subnet, which I would
have needed for the OpenVPN client anyway.

So now I have three access points...node, node-5g and the new node-2g.
Could have combined the first and last, but I didn't for this reason...I
still wanted a protected VPN.

I signed up to privateinternetaccess.com (PIA), may have gotten a better
price somewhere else (33USD/yr), but a good place to start nonetheless.  I
followed their guide for DD-WRT OpenVPN, and I found out a lot of options
are missing!  Turns out (and I knew this), that the latest DD-WRT firmware
for the 54GS is from 2010.

While putting a ticket in with PIA, I figured I would try out Tomato.
Well, the main branch doesn't have VPN either, BUT!..there is a Toastman
build of Tomato (from November 2014) that does.  So I tried that out, and
success...VPN is set up!

So the last half hour I enabled router remote access for my main network
only, reserved the HTPC's IP, poked a hole in the firewall for SSH, and I
can still remote to everything from my office PC.

Everything looks good.

--
Cheers,
Joel Maxuel