[nSLUG] Things to do with a Linksys WRT54GS router

Dave Flogeras dflogeras2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 16:49:51 ADT 2015

Hey Joel,

I have an old 54G that I installed Tomato on years ago and never
looked back.  I too read the install notes for OpenWRT and was scared
off.  Tomato can be flashed just like any 'official' firmware, and it
is easy to revert back to the Linksys firmware if it isn't to your
liking.

I use mine simply as a router/NAT, a couple of port forwards for my
DMZ boxes that are on the wide open internet.  My internal stuff is
behind another router.  It works great for my purposes; I set it up a
long time ago and forgot it exists.  It was really easy to get set up,
and the web interface is quite elegant for such a tiny firmware.

My only concern would be that Tomato is a dead project so doing risky
things like allowing SSH login from the outside, or the likes, might
be even more risky, since I doubt they have kept up with SSH related
patches.  The last release was years ago.

HTH
Dave