[nSLUG] Things to do with a Linksys WRT54GS router

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 16:32:23 ADT 2015

Slightly on topic...

So I went to the computer yard sale a few weeks ago, and had an interesting
find.  Among the pile of wired routers was a Linksys WRT54GS v1.0 2.4gHz!
So I picked it up, and a few other items (650VA APC UPS, VGA cable,
ethernet cable) for $20.

Anyways, I am still planning on what to do with it.  I have poor Wi-Fi
access in the house (with a Linksys/Cisco 5G in the basement), so I could
use it as an extender or better yet, access point (with 2.4G signal
boosted).

Then I got to thinking of a VPN (for purchase) protecting my identity for
the media I stream from time to time.  I could set up a subnet for those
devices (essentially HTPC and tablet).

I am thinking of DD-WRT for this purpose, or maybe Tomato, both of which
run Linux.  I thought about OpenWRT as well, but decided setup would be too
much effort than to be worth it.

Is there any opinion as to which one I should use?  Any other purpose for
it I should consider? Yogurt maker or BBQ rotisserie doesn't count for me.
;)  I want it to supplement the purposes I have already came up with.

Thanks. :)

--
Cheers,
Joel Maxuel