[nSLUG] Re: Thumbdrive filenames problem

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Mon Aug 24 01:14:37 ADT 2015

John Weintraub wrote:

> My suggestion would be to either use 'duplicity', (and you can find
> the man page by typing 'duplicity --help' at the command prompt) or
> the GUI backup in your applications; The front-end of Duplicity is
> called deja-dup. it's listed as "backup" under accessories in
> Ubuntu.

Don't see it on  Slackware.

> http://duplicity.nongnu.org/duplicity.1.html

Ah, so, wherein,

    Duplicity incrementally backs up files and folders into tar-format
    volumes encrypted with GnuPG and places them to a remote (or
    local) storage backend.

If I were compelled to back up across the net ("the cloud"? shudder) I
might well go for encryption with that.  For handy backups at home
against risk of fire, lightening strikes etc., it's not KISS.
Presently I seem to be good with rsync (having had some help here form
NSLUGgers, tnx) to a 2nd machine.  I'd like to do the same with a
thumb drive.

> Avoid 'dd' at the command line unless...

Too many gotchas using dd.  Has its place but I'm not going to dd
if=/dev/hda of=/dev/foo and then try to figure out just how it is that
I've shingled off onto the fog.

> ...about Clonezilla here: http://www.clonezilla.org/...

That looks like a Winnebago with dirt bike on the back, a Zodiac on
the roof and a cabin cruiser in tow.  All I need is the dirt bike. :-)

>From that page:

   Differential/incremental backup is not implemented yet.

which leaves rsync still looking good.  Just need to get a thumbdrive
formatted with a Linux fs for the purpose.

Tnx,
Mike

                                                           /V\