[nSLUG] Re: Tar (was: Thumbdrive filenames problem)

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sun Aug 23 15:32:58 ADT 2015

Johann Tienhaara wrote:

> Mike Spencer wrote:
>
>> I dislike tar for backups because there's no way (or I've not
>> discovered a way) to extract /path/to/some/file to ./file without
>> recreating ./path/to/some.
>
> On the 6th day God created man:

    What is man, that thou shouldest magnify him? and that thou
    shouldest set thine heart upon him?   And that thou shouldest
    visit him every morning, and try him every moment?

                                  -- Job 1:17

>     johann at bearberry:~/ttt$ man tar

Ah, yes.  The tar man page, one of the more intimidating ones, not
improved by the snarky, petulant remarks of the author,

       The GNU folks, in general, abhor man pages, and create info
       documents instead.  The maintainer of tar falls into this
       category.  This man page is neither complete, nor current, and
       was included in the Debian Linux packaging of tar entirely to
       reduce the frequency with which the lack of a man page gets
       reported as a bug in our defect tracking sys- tem.

       If you really want to understand tar, then you should run info
       and read the tar info pages, or use the info mode in emacs.

I hate GNU info(1), have been known to convert info files into a man
page readable in my personal, ideosyncratic mann(local) utility.  Did
that with tar long ago abut never grovelled enough to come up with an
easy answer.

> I'm not very good with biblical quotes, so I tried "man genesis" to
> figure out which day it was.  That didn't work.

    And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books
    there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

                                 -- Ecclesisates 2:12

Everybody should have an ASCII copy of the KJV on their HD. :-)

                                                           /V\