[nSLUG] Journaling fs? Unsuitable for thumbdrive?

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sun Aug 23 07:27:19 ADT 2015

On 23/08/15 02:53 AM, Mike Spencer wrote:
> Joel Maxuel wrote:
>
>> There are two ideas I can think of to get around this limitation:
>>
>> 1. Format the stick ext2 (or ext4 without journaling)
> So ext3 fs is a journaling fs and in ext4 fs it's optional?
>
> Why is it important *not* to use a journaling fs on a SSD/thumbdrive?

Typically this advice gets passed around based on the persistent myth
that because flash storage only lasts for a limited number of write
cycles, you should not do anything that would write frequently to disk,
especially to one spot on the disk (e.g. the journal file or swap).

https://www.google.ca/webhp?ie=UTF-8#q=ssd+write+endurance+myth

It's surprising that in 2015 this myth is still circulating. Even the
lowest grade MLC is not going to wear out because you put a journalling
FS or a swap file on it. So relax: the risk of corruption in the face of
power failures is not worth the perception of having improved write
endurance. Use a journalling fs with all your flash-based storage. I've
always done this and never suffered any problems from it.

Ben