[nSLUG] Journaling fs? Unsuitable for thumbdrive?

John Weintraub johnweintraub at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 03:59:03 ADT 2015

Hi Mike;

I don't think there's any problem using ext4 on an SSD or thumb-drive,
NAND, or otherwise. I have never heard of any warnings about that. All that
journalizing does is to keep an index of the changes made to the last
session. Unlike in Windows, which has a similar tool, though not at the
file-system level, journalizing in Linux is done on an as-it-goes, or in
other words, as-written, basis.
   Just FYI, In Windows, the journalizing is done at the end of the
session,  when you are shutting down (at least, that's been the case up
until Windows 7, I believe, I don't think Windows 10 does the processing at
the end). Windows' method has the problem that if you go through a system
crash, no changes are saved. It causes disc corruption in Windows. Ext4 is
immune from that.

Hope that helps.

Cheers JJW

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 10:53 PM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca>
wrote:

> Joel Maxuel wrote:
>
> > There are two ideas I can think of to get around this limitation:
> >
> > 1. Format the stick ext2 (or ext4 without journaling)
>
> So ext3 fs is a journaling fs and in ext4 fs it's optional?
>
> Why is it important *not* to use a journaling fs on a SSD/thumbdrive?
>

> I'm only vaguely aware of what a journaling file system is about --
> some kind of record of disk writes in addition to the superblock,
> inodes etc?  The only technical stuff I've read (and mostly forgotten)
> was on ext2 fs.
>
> --

John Weintraub
#333-7451 Moffatt Rd.