[nSLUG] Thumbdrive filenames problem

John Weintraub johnweintraub at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 03:50:28 ADT 2015

Hi Mike;

The two file names, one as directory, one as file, can be saved separately
as long as they are not under the same over-arching directory. My
suggestion would be to either use 'duplicity', (and you can find the man
page by typing 'duplicity --help' at the command prompt) or the GUI backup
in your applications; The front-end of Duplicity is called deja-dup. it's
listed as "backup" under accessories in Ubuntu.

 When I looked at 'duplicity --help', there was a '--dry-run switch, which
could conceivably tell you if the directory and file with the same name
would be merged as one (as a file, obviously). I don't know if it
(Duplicity) can handle duplicate file names, so you may want to research
that. The front-end of Duplicity is called deja-dup. it's listed as
"backup" under accessories in Ubuntu. Here is a web-version of the man
page, which I found via Google: http://duplicity.nongnu.org/duplicity.1.html
.

I think the backup via duplicity gives you more granular control than does
cp. Avoid 'dd' at the command line unless you are using a target device
equal to or greater than the source device. Also, if using dd, you MUST
make sure your target is a MOUNT POINT, or dd will rewrite your partition
table, which I found out the hard way.

Clonezilla does what dd does, only Clonezilla does it better, or so I have
heard. I don't think Clonezilla will trash your partition tables on the
source drive if you get things wrong, target-device-wise. You can find out
that and other tools here:
http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20090105114152803/Backup.html, and you
can find out about Clonezilla here: http://www.clonezilla.org/

i hope that helps too.

Cheers JJW

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 10:42 PM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca>
wrote:

> John Weintraub wrote:
>
> > The default go-to standard for thunbdrive formatting for
> > file-transportation/saving between Linux and Windows systems is
> > NTFS.
>
> Ah.  That would explain why some software that a Windoes user
> downloaded for me arrived on an NTFS device.
>
> > ...NTFS does not distinguish, as Linux does, between a lower-case
> > and upper case file. So to NTFS, FILENAME.TXT is the same as
> > filename.txt, but in Linux, they'd be treated as two different
> > files.
>
> That would be a problem for me to use as backup.  I have instances
> such as ~/Mail/ARCHIVE and ~/Mail/Archive being a file and a directory
> respectively -- other instances similar.  Errors related to that is
> what caught my attention when attempting cp(1) backup to a vfat fs.
>
> > I don't know if that helps or even contributes to the conversation.
>
> Contributes, at least by me as I didn't know all that about NTFS.
> Saved for reference.
>

> Tnx,
> --

John Weintraub