[nSLUG] Journaling fs? Unsuitable for thumbdrive?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sun Aug 23 02:53:55 ADT 2015

Joel Maxuel wrote:

> There are two ideas I can think of to get around this limitation:
>
> 1. Format the stick ext2 (or ext4 without journaling)

So ext3 fs is a journaling fs and in ext4 fs it's optional?

Why is it important *not* to use a journaling fs on a SSD/thumbdrive?

I'm only vaguely aware of what a journaling file system is about --
some kind of record of disk writes in addition to the superblock,
inodes etc?  The only technical stuff I've read (and mostly forgotten)
was on ext2 fs.

                                                           /V\