[nSLUG] Thumbdrive filenames problem)

John Weintraub johnweintraub at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 21:29:41 ADT 2015

Hi guys;

The default go-to  standard for thunbdrive formatting for
file-transportation/saving between Linux and Windows systems is NTFS.
NTFS doesn't do journalling, it's true, and on non-Solid-state drives, one
has to defragment, because ext4 does not allow itself to become fragmented
if the disk content is kept below 80%, whereas NTFS becomes fragmented
easily.
But NTFS handles long file-names with ease, and retains the
case-sensitivity of file-names in the sense that a file name with capital
letters will retain capital letters. However, NTFS does not distinguish, as
Linux does, between a lower-case and upper case file. So to NTFS,
FILENAME.TXT is the same as filename.txt, but in Linux, they'd be treated
as two different files.

I don't know if that helps or even contributes to the conversation. If it
doesn't add anything, just ignore me.

Thanks and Cheers, JJW

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 5:20 PM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> Joel Maxuel wrote:
>
> > vfat is Windows' long file name solution to fat16, so the behaviour
> > noticed is as expected (filenames are not case sensitive, has no
> > idea on how do deal with symlinks).
>
> I think I should have known this -- even did know it -- but just never
> thought of it before because I'd only used thumb drives for
> sneakernet. Thank you for the mental prod and confirmation.
>
> > There are two ideas I can think of to get around this limitation:
> >
> > 1. Format the stick ext2 (or ext4 without journaling)
>
> I think that's the one for this purpose: backup of ~/* and possibly
> some other data chunks, to be referenced on a Linux host if something
> (or everything) on the main box goes walkies.
>
> > 2. tar the archive to the stick (tar cvvs foo/ > /media/stick/foo.tar)
> >    and then be forced to view the backup in an archiving tool.
>
> I dislike tar for backups because there's no way (or I've not
> discovered a way) to extract /path/to/some/file to ./file without
> recreating ./path/to/some.
>
> > All depends on how you want to share the backup.
>
> Probably never an issue.  Wouldn't normally allow a complete archive
> of my mail etc. to go anywhere one might think of as "away". :-)
>
> > Hope this helps.
>
> Does. Thank you.
>
> --

John Weintraub