[nSLUG] Thumbdrive filenames (Was: An unusual Ubuntu logon problem)

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 18:15:43 ADT 2015

vfat is Windows' long file name solution to fat16, so the behaviour noticed
is as expected (filenames are not case sensitive, has no idea on how do
deal with symlinks).  Same goes for fat32, ntfs and (t)exfat.  There are
two ideas I can think of to get around this limitation:

1. Format the stick ext2 (or ext4 without journaling)
2. tar the archive to the stick (tar cvvs foo/ > /media/stick/foo.tar) and
then be forced to view the backup in an archiving tool.

All depends on how you want to share the backup.  If the stick only deals
with linux machines (and often in the console), might as well go with door
#1.  Otherwise, if you still want to stick to play nice with Windows or
other OSes, door #2 is the way to go.

Hope this helps.

--
Cheers,