[nSLUG] An unusual Ubuntu logon problem

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 22 10:18:20 ADT 2015

On Thu, 2015-08-20 at 10:59 -0300, Norm wrote:
> Curse you autocorrect!

I agree -particularly when you are a touch-typist, and type without
watching either the keyboard or the screen!

> /home/<username>/.xsession-error, not .xsession-errors.

I examined two files:  "/home/<username>/.xsession-error" and
"/home/<username>/.xsession-error.old".
Both files were only 82 bytes long, and contained the same two lines of
data.  I was lazy and used OpenOffice.org Writerto examine both files,
so I could just cut-and-paste the two lines of data into this message:

openConnection: connect: No such file or directory

cannot connect to brltty at :0
> --

Incidentally, I copied the entire '/home/jill' folder to a USB drive,
using the command "sudo cp -r /home/jill /media/nnnn-nnnn/jill"
The copy produced several error messages, which seem to relate to a
desktop icon which I had accidentally created, referring to The
Chronicle Herald Obituaries, and which I had deleted recently:
cp: cannot create symbolic link
cp: (similar to the following message, but referring to
'/Trash/info/obituaries | The Chronical Herald.desktop'): Invalid
argument
cp: cannotcreate regular file
'/media/nnnn-nnnn/jill_laptop/jill.local/Share/Trash/files/obituaries |
The Chronical Herald.desktop': Invalid argument
Do these messages suggest any reason why only the 'jill' userid now
fails to logon, or how earlier the userid could only log on to a
terminal rather than to the desktop?
Thanks,
Frank