[nSLUG] resolving bellaliant.net while on fibreop

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 07:09:19 ADT 2015

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 11:23 PM, Daniel AJ Sokolov <daniel at falco.ca> wrote:
> I've had issues with the Eastlink-DNS for a long time, but only when
> using Linux (various machines). It would take a very long time to
> resolve anything - I can't say for sure if it was eventually resolved,
> or if,  after a timeout, another DNS was queried instead.
>
> Even with the helpt of the capable Eastlink support and some other
> people, we never figured it out. I maye have posted something on this
> list a long time ago, too.
>
> Eventually, I gave up and switched to some other nameservers.

Well, in this case I think the flaw (or strange feature) is
in the router firmware.

The option from asus merlin named:
"Connect to DNS Server automatically"
has the effect of making the Bell Aliant assigned DNS server
of use exclusively to the router.  NATed systems are not able
to reach it and must use the router gateway's DNS service
to resolve hosts which are served by Bell Aliant's DNS.
The solution was to uncheck the router's "connect to DNS
Server automatically" option and then my DNS resolver works fine.

DNS hijacking by the ISPs was discussed here a few years ago.
That only happens when you use their DNS servers.  It might
be what you ran into.