[nSLUG] resolving bellaliant.net while on fibreop

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Wed Aug 19 19:29:32 ADT 2015

On 2015-08-19 19:31, D G Teed wrote:
> Perhaps I'm flagged for running nmap for open telnet ports against
> network IP
> ranges similar to my IP.

Have you tried querying the other bellaliant.net nameservers;
dns-nb00.aliant.net (198.164.30.2) or dns-nb01.aliant.net (198.164.4.2)
?

Do those also not work behind NAT?
Any difference querying using TCP instead of UDP?

If queries work from the router itself I think it's unlikely to be
aliant blocking you.. sure it could be, but they'd have to be using some
very strange criteria (ie, ttl or maybe high NAT source ports?).. I
think it's far more likely to be something on your end tbh.

The traceroute you showed not getting to the destination is probably a
red-herring.. the nameserver just doesn't reply to the traceroute probes
so what you are seeing there is normal.

Try it with tcptraceroute instead.. tcp should acknowledge (syn/ack)
and the traceroute will complete.. wereas with udp it just sends a probe
to the dns server and gets ignored.

Are you able to resolve other domains that are hosted on those
nameservers.. such as for example;

vectoraerospace.tv
sobeys.ca

It could be that bellaliant.net is a special case because it's part of
your hostname.. dnsmasq might be intercepting it and somehow breaking
things?

Rob