[nSLUG] Re: resolving bellaliant.net while on fibreop

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Mon Aug 17 17:07:08 ADT 2015

> Home:
> host -W60 bellaliant.net 198.164.30.2
>
> Work:
>  host -W60 bellaliant.net 198.164.30.2
> Using domain server:
> Name: 198.164.30.2
> Address: 198.164.30.2#53
> Aliases:
>
> bellaliant.net has address 70.33.239.144
>
> It seems like Bell is somehow blocking Linux/bind client
> queries from their customers.  The clients work for everything
> else out there.

I'm kinda out of my depth here but...

AIUI, the "connection timed out; no servers could be reached" message
comes from your software, suggesting that your query never gets to
198.164.30.2 or is dropped there (or somewhere) at the IP/firewall
level.  Can you ping 198.164.30.2 from the failing client box?

>From my home box, downstream of Eastlink rather than Aliant, I quite
reasonably get a  5(REFUSED) response but at least 198.164.30.2 is
talking to me, albeit treating me as an alien and unacceptable person.

- Mike

                                                           /V\