[nSLUG] Resolving bell aliant

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 14:18:44 ADT 2015

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 12:37 PM, Jim Haliburton <jim at on-site.ns.ca> wrote:
> What is the results of the route command, from the console as root?

# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         clark.localdoma 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0

clark is 192.168.0.1

mtr shows this trace to the NS of dns-nb00.aliant.net

Host                                           Loss%   Snt   Last
Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
 1. clark.localdomain.domain                     0.0%     8    0.5
0.5   0.3   0.8   0.1
 2. loop0.6cw.ba17.hlfx.ns.aliant.net            0.0%     8    7.9
13.1   7.9  34.4   8.7
 3. irb-84.cr02.hlfx.ns.aliant.net               0.0%     8    9.3
10.3   8.5  12.0   1.4
 4. ae6.cr02.stjh.nb.aliant.net                  0.0%     7   12.0
13.1  11.6  15.2   1.3
 5. ???

I can reach the bellaliant.net website alright.  I just can't resolve it
specifically from a Linux client.  Even a Windows system, using
nslookup with the Linux resolver, can resolve it fine.  Either there is
something specific to Linux client lookups from Bell Aliant clients,
or the Windows system secretly asks the gateway if
the nslookup provided resolver doesn't get an answer.

If there anyone on Bell FibreOp who can check the behaviour of this command
from Linux:

host bellaliant.net dns-nb00.aliant.net

it would provide another data point in this question.