[nSLUG] An unusual Ubuntu logon problem

John Weintraub johnweintraub at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 19:14:56 ADT 2015

Your Jill account ended up in single-user mode. You can try a couple of
things, they should work. The first is to type 'telinit 5' (no quotes) or
'sudo telinit 5', which should put you back into graphical/multi-user mode
(normal operations for most Ubuntu systems running a GUI like gdm, kdm, or
xdm, or lightdm).
Then log out, once in graphical user mode. The system should retain the GUI
(runlevel 5) in its configuration. To be sure, once you logged back in, do
a terminal-based shutdown and restart ('sudo shutdown -r now'). You should
find Jill back at runlevel 5.
  The other thing to try is typing 'sudo startx' at the single-user
terminal prompt. The reason for the 'sudo' is, it will launch runlevel 5 in
admin/root mode, so you can make edits to whatever files you need, such as
inittab, which is where the runlevel is recorded. Then log out, once in
graphical user mode. The system should retain the GUI (runlevel 5) in its
configuration. To be sure, once you logged back in, do a terminal-based
shutdown and restart ('sudo shutdown -r now'). You should find Jill back at
runlevel 5.

Let us know if either of these worked.

Cheers, JJW

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Norm <anamelech at gmail.com> wrote:

> You might find something in the. ~jill/.xsession‎-error log. I've only had
> this happen when home directory permissions get changed, or using an
> 'obscure' shell
>
> --
> Norm

John Weintraub