[nSLUG] An unusual Ubuntu logon problem

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 16 15:39:04 ADT 2015

I have an old laptop running Ubuntu 12.04.  I have several logon IDs on
it, one with Administrator authority (call it 'Jack'), and one without
Administrator authority (call it 'Jill').  When I show the file system,
and open the 'home' folder, there are two folders inside the 'home'
folder: 'Jack' and 'Jill'.
When the computer is powered on, the Ubuntu 12.04 logon selection screen
appears, prompting for a choice of user and password.
When the 'Jack' user logs on, the normal Ubuntu 12.04 desktop appears,
and the computer behaves normally.  However, when the 'Jill' user logs
on, a full-screen terminal session appears, and it is necessary to click
the mouse on the terminal session in order to be able to enter terminal
commands.  Entering the 'exit' command logs off the 'Jill' user, causing
the Ubuntu 12.04 logon selection screen to re-appear, prompting for a
choice of user and password.
I have no idea what could have caused the change in the 'Jill' ID, which
previously had a normal desktop.  I could just delete the user and
re-create it (no significant files would be lost), and will probably do
so in a few days, but it would be interesting to find out if there is
some other way to determine what might have happened, and perhaps
recover the use of the ID in a less drastic way.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Frank