[nSLUG] Ubuntu -Unable to use Update Manager to upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04

G. MacNeil macneil.g at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 21:24:04 ADT 2015

The advise I see says you would be better off getting an Ubuntu 14.04
Disk and re-installing.  There have been too many changes to make it
worthwhile to do a step wise upgrade.  That is the reason those buttons
are greyed out.  Standard Debian operations (ie. apt-get et al) will not
work either.

Ubuntu will not touch your $HOME directory on the re-install, it is
system software after all. It will install over the top of an existing
installation at your option, or slice off a new partition if
instructed.  It *should* detect the old Ubuntu install and act
appropriately in the first case. It also *should* migrate your settings
when you log into the new system in both cases.  I bet their success
rate is really low unless you are on an all Intel system with no
non-free components (Broadcom wireless, for instance).

I have *never* successfully installed Ubuntu 14.04 on one of my
computers because they all have legacy Nvidia cards and nouveau is a
piece of crap. And I believe that if you have a computer that ran Ubuntu
12.04 or earlier, Ubuntu 14.04 will not run as well because of the age
of the hardware. It's like they do not want to support legacy hardware
... perhaps preferring to support their phones instead. Unless there is
a reason you *must* upgrade,don't do it.

If flash and your browser are giving you grief, get the new versions
from Google/Mozilla and Adobe instead, do what they tell you to do and
ignore anything Ubuntu tells you.

If you do have a Nvidia video card, my advise would be to get a disk
with the latest Mint (17.2 I believe). Both Mint 16 and Mint 17 migrated
nicely for me, 17.2 gets lots of nice murmurs.  There are also several
other "light" distros more appropriate for legacy hardware than Ubuntu
14.04.

Personally, after trying a whole bunch (20 distros or so, I suppose. I
had a steady supply of magazine disks), I immediatly went back to Debian
as soon as the Cinnamon Destop from Mint was available.  I like my
desktop to be a desktop; not a laptop, not a pad and certainly not a
phone. My very oldest computers that do not support a Composting Desktop
Manager (also required for Ubuntu 14.04) do very well with MATE, also
from the Mint guys and available in Debian.

If you have been using the Gnome 2 Desktop, then the MATE Desktop is by
far your best option no matter what the distro.

Gerard