[nSLUG] How to avoid systemd in Debian 8 "Jessie"

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 11:19:52 ADT 2015

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Oliver Doepner <odoepner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Debian 8 "Jessie" was released yesterday.
> It is the first release that uses systemd as the default init replacement.
>
> Does anyone know how I can avoid systemd ?
>
> I use XFCE as desktop environment and lightdm as login manager.
> I usually stay away from Gnome applications.
>
> And I don't want to try the Debian fork that the systemd naysayers started.

I installed Debian 8 on a new box today and it used init for process 1.

I didn't do anything special to ask for init based system.  There are
some processes running like

dteed      950  0.0  0.0  35760  3964 ?        Ss   09:34   0:00
/lib/systemd/systemd --user

But the main guy is:

root         1  0.0  0.0  28936  5304 ?        Ss   09:34   0:00 /sbin/init

The only install selections were Desktop, which was XFCE,
and the bottom 3 roles, which I think were print server,
ssh server, and standard utilities or whatever it is called.

It seems to be some kind of hybrid.  When I restart ssh I see this:

# /etc/init.d/ssh restart
[ ok ] Restarting ssh (via systemctl): ssh.service.

There are scripts in /etc/init.d, but there is no /etc/inittab

For some reason I recall the original Star Trek episode "Shore Leave".