[nSLUG] Re: How to avoid systemd in Debian 8 "Jessie"

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Apr 28 16:05:11 ADT 2015

[ Dang! Is this a second copy of my post?  Sorry, hit the send key
[ before I finished the last sentence.

I've been following the systemd controversy only very
superficially. But what Donald write pretty well covers it for me:

> What we lose with systemd is the ability to easily tweak parameters
> within the init scripts....With an init script I am in the driver's
> seat in seconds.  Without a script, I'm left to google.

I've already been annoyed by the changes from plain text file for
magic(5) to a compiled binary format, termcap to binary terminfo and,
IIRC, similar for the timezone data.  Part of what sold me on Linux is
that, if you keep reading, you can find how everything works.

Binary globs supported by associated data management utilities make
that go away.  And I gather (see "superficially", supra) that systemd
does just that.

Donald again:

> Given the choice of direct intervention and getting a service in
> action quickly, or searching the net and hoping to find good
> information that isn't from 2003, I'll take the intervention option
> every time.

Just so.

> The other issue I have with systemd are the claims.  Faster start up
> for example.

Granted, a real time system supporting 911 or similar critical service
needs to reboot as fast as possible.  Do I care if my boxen take 10
seconds or 60 seconds to boot?  Hardly ever.  I once crashed an IBM RT
that took over 30 minutes to reboot over a network. I agree that's a
problem.  A few seconds isn't.

> A good evaluation of systemd will come on the day you have to
> download a random tarball from sourceforge, or Github, etc., and set
> up a new systemd service file, after finding none on the net.

That sounds a lot like the Windoes Registry setup to me.

I know there are a lot of really whiz-bang computer tricks that are
now commonplace, things that I don't do.  But if systemd amounts to
having my 1950 Dodge Powerwagon replaced by a 40' Winnebago so that
people who want to do so can watch TV while simultaneously roasting
a turkey and showering with a friend, I would prefer to opt out.

- Cranky old Geezer

                                                           /V\