[nSLUG] How to avoid systemd in Debian 8 "Jessie"

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 21:20:44 ADT 2015

Ok, agreed in general, systemd is not the end of the world and is not going
to kill Linux.

However, from reading some discussions with kay sievers and poettering (the
systemd guys), I can understand that people are upset about a clique of
Redhat elitists trying to take control of more and more of the core Linux
system services.

Those guys get paid for working full-time on that feature creep and the
other distros don't seem to have the resources and influence to keep up or
even compete.

And they have completely given up compatibility with the BSDs and other
Unixes, which makes Debian with BSD kernel a lot harder, I guess.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca>
wrote:

> On 27/04/15 07:55 AM, Oliver Doepner wrote:
> > Well, Ben, if this is such a minor thing then why did a whole bunch of
> > senior Debian folks resign during the systemd conflicts?
> >

> http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/66153-systemd-fallout-two-debian-technical-panel-members-resign
> >

> The TC was (and is, arguably) broken in ways that transcend systemd. I'm
> not at all surprised by those two TC resignations, given the highly
> public shitstorm they had to face. *I* would've resigned in those
> circumstances too.
>
> As for Joey, he resigned for his own, personal reasons. How many times
> did he mention "systemd" in his resignation post? No, he was upset with
> the much bigger problem of the decision-making process in Debian being
> influenced in unhealthy ways by the constitution. Unfortunately, it was
> too late for him, he felt, to do anything about that, so he left. That
> takes guts, and although I'm sad to see him go, I think it was the
> healthiest choice he could make, given his personal circumstances.
>
> What I dismiss is not the seriousness of the conflict itself, as that
> points at some serious social issues that Debian will have to work out.
> What I'm tired of is the blowing entirely out of proportion the
> "evilness" of systemd, its hastening of the "death of Linux", and so forth.
>
> Ben

Oliver Doepner
http://oliver.doepner.net/