[nSLUG] How to avoid systemd in Debian 8 "Jessie"

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Mon Apr 27 17:45:06 ADT 2015

On 27/04/15 07:55 AM, Oliver Doepner wrote:
> Well, Ben, if this is such a minor thing then why did a whole bunch of
> senior Debian folks resign during the systemd conflicts?
>
> http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/66153-systemd-fallout-two-debian-technical-panel-members-resign

The TC was (and is, arguably) broken in ways that transcend systemd. I'm
not at all surprised by those two TC resignations, given the highly
public shitstorm they had to face. *I* would've resigned in those
circumstances too.

As for Joey, he resigned for his own, personal reasons. How many times
did he mention "systemd" in his resignation post? No, he was upset with
the much bigger problem of the decision-making process in Debian being
influenced in unhealthy ways by the constitution. Unfortunately, it was
too late for him, he felt, to do anything about that, so he left. That
takes guts, and although I'm sad to see him go, I think it was the
healthiest choice he could make, given his personal circumstances.

What I dismiss is not the seriousness of the conflict itself, as that
points at some serious social issues that Debian will have to work out.
What I'm tired of is the blowing entirely out of proportion the
"evilness" of systemd, its hastening of the "death of Linux", and so forth.

Ben