[nSLUG] How to avoid systemd in Debian 8 "Jessie"

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Mon Apr 27 06:33:33 ADT 2015

On 26/04/15 09:23 PM, Oliver Doepner wrote:
> Interesting comment on slashdot about Redhat's agenda with systemd:
> http://news.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=7312219&cid=49546875
>
> "we're heading for a corporate endgame where the GPL is run-around due
> to systemd. It's the goal of pushing kdbus into the kernel as well as
> sucking in everything from dns to a time server into systemd. Their
> corporate clients have the issue of shipping proprietary software &
> the LGPL on linux, but if it's just communicating with all the
> libraries as a service, well...."

Don't take this personally, but I'm more than a little tired of the
hyperbolic reactions to systemd. It is, we are given to believe, "the
end of Linux", and according to the above, perhaps also "the end of
freedom", too! Meanwhile, the Jessie release went off without a hitch,
after the freeze being completed in record time, Linux is still alive
and kicking, and we all (last I checked) still have our freedom. After
all of the strident complaints of "I'll be forced to use systemd! We're
being robbed of freedom of choice!" I'm happy to say that sysvinit is
still in the Debian archive and plenty of people still use it. If you
care about it, then relax: it probably will remain for some time to
come, provided there is a sufficient developer/user base that continues
to care about it. Like many big changes to the Linux software ecosystem
that preceded it (anyone remember libc5->libc6? the big redesigns of KDE
and GNOME?) after all the initial turmoil, it quickly returns to normal
afterwards, continuing to embody a healthy balance of adaptability,
innovation, pragmatism and freedom of choice. In another five years, my
own prediction is exactly zero of the systemd doomsayers' predictions
will have come to pass, everyone's freedom will have stayed intact, and
only a few curmudgeons will stroke their beards and remark: "remember
systemd? what a dark day for Linux that was!"

If you want to sample some saner commentary than Slashdot on the arrival
of systemd in Jessie, have a look through various developer commentary
on Planet Debian:

http://planet-search.debian.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?terms=systemd

On the whole the reception seems quite positive. I've started to educate
myself on the new systemd toolset and so far am liking what I see.

Ben