[nSLUG] How to avoid systemd in Debian 8 "Jessie"

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 21:12:50 ADT 2015

You are right, Ben. Reading the release notes is best. I just thought I'd
start this discussion on nslug right away, in case someone here has already
been through the same.

Regarding systemd itself and whether it deserves my aversion: I think it
does too much, too many binaries, adds unnecessary complexity and is
maintained by a small group of relatively arrogant developers at Redhat.

I try to keep my system simple and considering the mess / pain that other
Poettering services have caused (pulseaudio, avahi, ...) without adding
very much improved functionality, I tend to doubt the benefit, not give the
benefit of the doubt.

I especially don't like the feature creep and how the various daemons
depend on each other in subtle ways.

Thanks
Oliver

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca>
wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Oliver Doepner <odoepner at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Debian 8 "Jessie" was released yesterday.
>
> oh good. :)
>
> > It is the first release that uses systemd as the default init
> replacement.
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can avoid systemd ?
>
> I don't know why you would want to avoid systemd. I honestly do no
> understand the hate towards systemd. It does bring some nice features
> to desktops. (IMHO it is no better no worst for servers.) There is a
> learning curve, but it is all documented. In the long term, as it is
> the debian default, it will be easier to run systemd than not systemd.
>
> I use Debian at home with sysV init (and the excellent XFCE). At work
> I manage Centos 6 and 7 which both use systemd, and two versions of
> Ubuntu LTS which use upstart. Most of the time I just don't care which
> init system is used.

Oliver Doepner
http://oliver.doepner.net/