[nSLUG] How to avoid systemd in Debian 8 "Jessie"

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Sun Apr 26 18:14:54 ADT 2015

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Oliver Doepner <odoepner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Debian 8 "Jessie" was released yesterday.

oh good. :)

> It is the first release that uses systemd as the default init replacement.
>
> Does anyone know how I can avoid systemd ?

I don't know why you would want to avoid systemd. I honestly do no
understand the hate towards systemd. It does bring some nice features
to desktops. (IMHO it is no better no worst for servers.) There is a
learning curve, but it is all documented. In the long term, as it is
the debian default, it will be easier to run systemd than not systemd.

I use Debian at home with sysV init (and the excellent XFCE). At work
I manage Centos 6 and 7 which both use systemd, and two versions of
Ubuntu LTS which use upstart. Most of the time I just don't care which
init system is used.