[nSLUG] April Tech Talk

Dave Flogeras dflogeras2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 08:33:15 ADT 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 3:17 PM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:
> despite GUI. ;-) Interesting to see that it will sniff USB data as
> well as TCP/IP.  Not that I understand USB data but wireshark showed
> the as yet not-working touchpad on my laptop exchanging USB data with
> the system.  Still fumbling around with a new kernel that allegedly
> will fix the touchpad.

Wow thanks for this tip Mike, I did not know it would do USB (it seems
you need a newer version than I have installed).  Still good to know.
Also I dug a little and there is a command line program aptly named
usbmon which is the tcpdump equivalent for USB command line sniffing.
In it's simplest case you can just:

$ usbmon

and then move your USB mouse/trackpad and watch it communicate.  Of
course you need to have privilege and the usbmon kernel module must be
loaded [or built-in].

Thanks again. You never know when you'll need a tool, or if ever; but
its harder if you don't know the tool even exists :)