[nSLUG] Re: April Tech Talk

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu Apr 23 15:17:57 ADT 2015

[ Posted last night, bounced. No DNS for nslug.ns.ca.  WHat happened? ]

Dop wrote:

> I think you may want "tcpdump -l". Checking the man page on a local
> machine this exact scenario is actually listed, coincidentally
> enough:
>
>          -l     Make stdout line buffered.  Useful if you want to
>                 see the data  while capturing it.

Just so, thank you.  Works as expected if I put -l in the invocation.

I *do* read manpages, honest.  It didn't occur to me to look in the
tcpdump page for something I imagined (wrongly) had to do with tee(1)
or the pipe mechanism.

And there's the MEGO factor.  Don't get me wrong, I *like* manpages
and [warning: understatement ahead] don't like the cute hypertextual
info format being flogged by rms.  But too often, mine eyes glaze over
before I find what I need.

BTW, I've only recently begun to play with wireshark in trying to
understand what's coming and going on a wifi connection.  Pretty nice,
despite GUI. ;-) Interesting to see that it will sniff USB data as
well as TCP/IP.  Not that I understand USB data but wireshark showed
the as yet not-working touchpad on my laptop exchanging USB data with
the system.  Still fumbling around with a new kernel that allegedly
will fix the touchpad.

Tnx,
- Mike

                                                           /V\