[nSLUG] Linux-Notebooks from Dell

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 11:29:13 ADT 2015

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 10:22 PM, Daniel AJ Sokolov @mobile <daniel at falco.ca
> wrote:

> Thank you for pointing those out.
>
> However, they don't fit my needs. The first one has too low a resolution
> (which is why I need to upgrade). I have to work with a CMS that is very
> cumbersome with just 768.

I have the same problem with GUI (mine needs minimum 1024 high display),
but I often work in areas with big windows and find that many higher res.
laptop (and older external) screens are too dim.   For me, a big advantage
of a laptop is that you can move around to avoid direct sun.   I have a
couple 1366x768 laptops (13 and 15 in) that are usable for emacs and
command-line in brightly lit areas, but higher the res. 13-in laptops I
have seen were all too dim (smaller physical pixels size means less
light).  There ought to be a solution using an HDMI linux dongle plugged in
to a small reflective pixel monitor and using web based GUI or VNC to run
the apps on a remote system, but some places I work don't permit wireless,
so I would need a dongle with an ethernet port.

The second one is simply way too big&heavy for my purpose.

> I would like my current Thinkpad X121 with more CPU power and a higher
> resolution. But since Lenovo sold it's customers out to a malware company,
> I can't buy them anymore.
>
> BR
> Daniel AJ
>
> On 18 April 2015 21:38:16 GMT-03:00, Herb Theriault <herbt at theria.ca>
> wrote:
> >For that price, I'd happily add a bit more size and consider this...
> >
> >https://system76.com/laptops/lemur
> >
> >I've been using an i7 Gazelle for just over a year now, and it's great.
> >
> >https://system76.com/laptops/gazelle
> >

> >Herb
> >
> >On April 18, 2015 3:45:12 PM ADT, Daniel AJ Sokolov <daniel at falco.ca>
> >wrote:
> >>Hear Ye,
> >>
> >>Dell has recently released a new notebook in their "Developer Edition"
> >>series. The News XPS 13 comes with Ubuntu (so it has the relevant
> >>drivers) and more RAM.
> >>
> >>It is lightweight and features a 13 inch FHD monitor on an 11 inch
> >>sized
> >>frame:
> >>http://www.dell.com/ca/business/p/xps-13-linux/pd
> >>(The non-glossy non-touch is only available with Intel i5, whereas the
> >>glossy touch-device is available with i5 or i7).
> >>
> >>Anyone here interested? It start at $1085, but maybe we can get a
> >>discount if we order a bunch. :-)
> >>
> >>Also, there the larger Precsion M3800 with Ubuntu (saves $170) and a
> >15
> >>inch screen (touch only). This one is somewhat customizable. You can
> >>add
> >>a second harddrive, chose a "French/English" (French Canadian?)
> >>keyboard, etc.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia