[nSLUG] Re: April Tech Talk

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Apr 17 16:08:25 ADT 2015

Hello all --

Y'all will probably understand why I don't slog out the road in
snow/mud time and drive 70 miles into city rush hour traffic for a
short meet.

But thank you very much for the PDF notes.

In particular, thanks for the explanation of diff(1) output (and
pointer to more extensive explanation, too).  I've known for decades
what diff *does* but human interpretation of the output is sadly
missing from the manpage and was always confusing for me.  Typically,
I don't need to update a huge file.c but just check to see if two
versions of some text file have important differences.  I'm now
enlightened (or will be after I've re-read the material a few
times. :-)

I might add a note which you may have covered in the talk but omitted
in the PDF.  Only recently someone clued me (maybe here on NSLUG?) to
the -f option to tail(1).  I'm still on dialup, one of my ISPs
recently transferred its server & telecom support from Telus to
Fibernetics and everything went to pieces.  "tail -f" proved to be
very useful for watching a log file as pppd(8) tried unsuccessfully to
complete LCP with the access server.  I can easily imagine other
occasions where monitoring additions to a log file in an xterm could
be handy.

Tnx,
- Mike

                                                           /V\