[nSLUG] Suggested subject for NSLUG meet

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Sep 26 03:56:28 ADT 2014

I forget the catchy phrase we're using for this.  But a subject just
occurred to me: configuring iptables.

I've hacked together something that seems to be working -- I can see
packets with tcpdump that are (correctly) being dropped on the floor.
But I'm on dialup where (I'm guessing here) I get off lightly.

Setting up a laptop for wi-fi is going well.  But there are details of
iptables that aren't clear from the docs, or at least not clear to me.
How, exactly does --state RELATED or --state ESTABLISHED work?  ftp in
a browser works as expected but from the command line, I have to force
PASV with -p. Is this due to my iptables setup?

Not looking for answers here, but thinking of an NSLUG talk.

A presentation by a wizard with a question period might be in order.

FWIW,
- Mike

                                                           /V\