[nSLUG] Kernel compile advice sought

Eugene Cormier eugene.cormier at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 18:01:16 ADT 2014

I'm not sure what options your kernel provide (some distros can give
additional patches for cpus) but I think you can safely choose:
Opteron/Athlon64/Hammer/K8
or
Generic-x86-64
for that cpu

Eugene

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 05:49:39PM -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:

> Eugene Cormier <eugene.cormier at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ...there should be a .config file that is used for your distro
> > (slackware) and if you can find it, very often you can get it simply
> > by running:
> >
> >      zcat /proc/config.gz
>
> Ah. That works on the new system relevent here. (Doesn't on my older
> system.)  And that produces text identical to /boot/config.
>
> >    zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/src/linux/.config
> >
> > (remember to change /usr/src/linux/ to the path where your new
> > kernel is)
> >
> > from that point you can run make oldconfig,
>
> Good.  Thanks.  That answers the question.
>
> That leaves: If I *don't* use "make oldconfig", is there any guidance
> for optimal choice of CPU support (connfig M486) for an AMD A4-6210
> (AMD codename Beema) quadcore?  Google is gradually turning up more
> info but not yet an answer that I can make practical sense of.
>

> - Mike
>
> --

Eugene Cormier
---------------
Full-time Instructor
Acadia University
www.eugenecormier.com
eugenecormier at gmail.com
Office: Denton Hall Rm.235
Office Hours: Monday & Wednesday 10:30-11:30 (or by appointment)
Phone: (902) 585-1329

Statement of Confidentiality
This message (including attachments) may contain confidential or
privileged information intended for a specific individual or
organization. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely
on this email, and should promptly delete this email from your entire
computer system.