[nSLUG] Re: Kernel compile advice sought

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu Sep 25 17:49:39 ADT 2014

Eugene Cormier <eugene.cormier at gmail.com> wrote:

> ...there should be a .config file that is used for your distro
> (slackware) and if you can find it, very often you can get it simply
> by running:
>
>      zcat /proc/config.gz

Ah. That works on the new system relevent here. (Doesn't on my older
system.)  And that produces text identical to /boot/config.

>    zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/src/linux/.config
>
> (remember to change /usr/src/linux/ to the path where your new
> kernel is)
>
> from that point you can run make oldconfig,

Good.  Thanks.  That answers the question.

That leaves: If I *don't* use "make oldconfig", is there any guidance
for optimal choice of CPU support (connfig M486) for an AMD A4-6210
(AMD codename Beema) quadcore?  Google is gradually turning up more
info but not yet an answer that I can make practical sense of.

- Mike

                                                           /V\