[nSLUG] Kernel compile advice sought

Eugene Cormier eugene.cormier at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 08:26:56 ADT 2014

Ben, I have no idea about slackware, but I'm on Gentoo where there 'is
no default' kernel.... so I just assume that every distro that provides
pre-made kernels 'should', responsibly, provide that option

Eugene

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 08:19:40AM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On 25/09/14 08:10 AM, Eugene Cormier wrote:
> > Mike, there should be a .config file that is used for your distro
> > (slackware) and if you can find it, very often you can get it simply by
> > running:
> > zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/src/linux/.config
> >
> > (remember to change /usr/src/linux/ to the path where your new kernel
> > is)
> >
> > from that point you can run make oldconfig, but I often just 'make
> > menuconfig' and then save
>
> That depends on a kernel option that may not be enabled by default,
> though you seem to have some knowledge about Slackware and I have none,
> so you may be right in this particular case. In general, what Mike
> proposed (copying the kernel config from boot) should work across all
> distributions.
>
> Ben

Eugene Cormier
---------------
Full-time Instructor
Acadia University
www.eugenecormier.com
eugenecormier at gmail.com
Office: Denton Hall Rm.235
Office Hours: Monday & Wednesday 10:30-11:30 (or by appointment)
Phone: (902) 585-1329

Statement of Confidentiality
This message (including attachments) may contain confidential or
privileged information intended for a specific individual or
organization. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely
on this email, and should promptly delete this email from your entire
computer system.