[nSLUG] Kernel compile advice sought

Eugene Cormier eugene.cormier at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 08:10:07 ADT 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:31:52AM -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:

> I finally found a helpful developer. It looks like the solution to my
> touchpad problem (see earlier posts) lies in a newer kernel where the
> Microsoft "Precision Touchapds" spec is allegedly supported. 3.10
> does't support it, 3.16.x is said to do so.  And someone who contacted
> me about their own similar difficulty has installed 3.16 on a Debian
> system and has a working touchpad.
>
> But after reading the kernel source README, I'm still a little shakey
> on installing a newer kernel.
>
>     + The kernel README says there's an make option:
>
>      "make oldconfig"   Default all questions based on the contents of
>                         your existing ./.config file and asking about
>                         new config symbols.
>
>      In newly downloaded kernel source there *is* no ./.config.  Is it
>      correct that I can just copy /boot/config file that goes with my
>      current kernel into the root dir of the new kernel source as
>      .config in order to use "make oldconfig"?
>

> - Mike

Mike, there should be a .config file that is used for your distro
(slackware) and if you can find it, very often you can get it simply by
running:
zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/src/linux/.config

(remember to change /usr/src/linux/ to the path where your new kernel
is)

from that point you can run make oldconfig, but I often just 'make
menuconfig' and then save

Cheers
EUgene

> --

Eugene Cormier
---------------
Full-time Instructor
Acadia University
www.eugenecormier.com
eugenecormier at gmail.com
Office: Denton Hall Rm.235
Office Hours: Monday & Wednesday 10:30-11:30 (or by appointment)
Phone: (902) 585-1329

Statement of Confidentiality
This message (including attachments) may contain confidential or
privileged information intended for a specific individual or
organization. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely
on this email, and should promptly delete this email from your entire
computer system.