[nSLUG] Kernel compile advice sought

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu Sep 25 00:31:52 ADT 2014

I finally found a helpful developer. It looks like the solution to my
touchpad problem (see earlier posts) lies in a newer kernel where the
Microsoft "Precision Touchapds" spec is allegedly supported. 3.10
does't support it, 3.16.x is said to do so.  And someone who contacted
me about their own similar difficulty has installed 3.16 on a Debian
system and has a working touchpad.

But after reading the kernel source README, I'm still a little shakey
on installing a newer kernel.

    + The kernel README says there's an make option:

     "make oldconfig"   Default all questions based on the contents of
                        your existing ./.config file and asking about
                        new config symbols.

     In newly downloaded kernel source there *is* no ./.config.  Is it
     correct that I can just copy /boot/config file that goes with my
     current kernel into the root dir of the new kernel source as
     .config in order to use "make oldconfig"?

   + Any suggestions for the "config M486" option?  It would be nice
     to optimize the kernel for the AMD A4-6210 4-core CPU rather than
     generic 486.  The README offers these suggestions for AMD, none of
     which mentions A4:

      - "K6" for the AMD K6, K6-II and K6-III (aka K6-3D).
      - "Athlon" for the AMD K7 family (Athlon/Duron/Thunderbird).
      - "Geode GX/LX" For AMD Geode GX and LX processors.

   + Do I understand correctly that as, I'm compiling a later version
     number, "make install" will put the new
     kernel, config and system map into /boot *along side* existing
     files, using filenames that reflect the version, so I get
     something like:

        System.map-huge-smp-3.10.17-smp          # Present files
        config-huge-smp-3.10.17-smp
        vmlinuz-huge-smp-3.10.17-smp

        vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-huge-smp-3.10.17-smp  # Present link

        System.map-3.16.1-smp                    # New files?
        config-3.16.1-smp
        vmlinuz-3.16.1-smp

    + Do I understand correctly that as, I'm compiling a later version
     number, "make modules_install" will put the new modules in a
     *new* directory (/lib/modules/3.16.1/) leaving the existing
     /lib/modules/3.10.17-smp unaltered?

It should be obvious that I don't want to do a kernel compile,
cavalierly type "make install" and discover that I have undo something
gnarly that I don't understand very well.

- Mike

                                                           /V\