[nSLUG] X server refuses connection

francis picabia fpicabia at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 11:16:58 ADT 2014

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Miles Thompson <milesthom at gmail.com> wrote:

> Help / guidance in sorting out the following will be greatly appreciated.
> I'm tying to install KDE desktop on an AMD64, 3 Gbytes RAM, SuperMicro
> H8SSL-1 motherboard, Centos 7.  (Centos 7 because Ubuntu would not install,
> and the Debian DVDs would not boot.)
>
> VIDEO
> On board video is ATI Rage, 8 M RAM.
> PCI-X video, as reported by lspci is
> AMD/ATI RV280 GL[FireMV 2200PCI] Secondary rev 01
>
> DISPLAY
> "$ echo $DISPLAY" -   returns nothing
>
> KDE Plasma Workspaces installed with no errors.
>
> If I issue:
>
> 1) "$ start kde &" this message is returned
>    "$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to X server"
> or
> 2) "$ startx"
>    "Unable to connect to xserver. Connection refused."
> In either case, the system trys - screen blanks then comes back with
> either of the above messages.

The DISPLAY variable for a console should be :0.0

If you this is actually an ssh login from a remote system,
then a bunch of other things have to be right, but I won't
bother describing that unless it fits the case.

> Last messages in tail end of log file are:
>
> [626.534] 9EE) Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault) Server aborted.
>  ... then a couple of blank lines and advice to check the log file
> [626.628] (EE) Server terminated with error(1). Closing log file.
>
> Why am an I doing this? I want to run Sickbeard / XMBC and serve content
> to TVs in the house.
>
> How do I debug this? Guidance will be welcomed.

Look at the entire /var/log/Xorg.0.log for any lines including the EE error
indicator.

It could be that the video card is too old to be automatically configured.

Do you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file?  If not, it might help to configure one.

Xorg -configure

might be the thing to try.  Searching the net for good xorg.conf lines for
your display
type and video card type is the way it used to be done, and it still
possible.