[nSLUG] Security in virtual machines

Jeff MacDonald jeff at bignose.ca
Wed Sep 17 21:53:31 ADT 2014

You could always use the VMWare physical to virtual tool. That way you'd
have a nice copy of the work station that you can run on a server or
desktop virtualization software, archive it somewhere for safe keeping etc.
ESXi is free.

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM, Frank Geitzler <
frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-09-17 at 10:26 -0300, Chris R. Thompson wrote:
> > Windows xp?
> > Internet Explorer...
> > ...wait.wut?
> > did I catch that right, your developing in this environment? Just
> > stop.
> Yes, Chris, I do agree -but the situation is not really that bad -or
> that simple.  Many years ago I developed this application, free, for a
> family resource organization which obtains the majority of its funding
> from gifts, grants, etc.  In order to obtain this funding, and for their
> own operation, they require many statistics and reports.   These reports
> cover such things as: what services are provided to how many families,
> individuals, children; what programs are offered, how frequently, how
> well attended, in what areas, in which geographic areas within a region
> do the clients live, etc.  Minor changes to the system are required as
> circumstances change -for instance, the most recent change was prompted
> by the requirement of ten-digit telephone numbers.
> The system will run on any Windows release, but my development package
> will not.  FoxPro is no longer supported by Microsoft, and the release I
> purchased when I retired (18 years ago) was followed by two more
> releases before Microsoft dropped support.
> The application should be replaced by something more easily supported,
> on more modern equipment, etc. -but that would not be trivial.
> Frank
> > On 09/16/2014 11:17 PM, Frank Geitzler wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks to both Stephen Gregory and to Gerald Ruderman.  That does
> > > answer
> > > my question.  I still use Windows XP on a  desktop machine which is
> > > not
> > > connected to the internet, to support an application for which I
> > > have a
> > > development package (Visual Foxpro).  I attempted to update the
> > > Norton
> > > Antivirus I have on that machine a number of months ago, and while
> > > doing
> > > so was told that a problem was encountered, for which I had to
> > > remove
> > > and reinstall the package.  When attempting to do so, I was told
> > > that my
> > > Internet Explorer was at the wrong level, and I would have to update
> > > it
> > > as well.  Since Microsoft had already dropped XP support, I chose
> > > not to
> > > do so, but to just disconnect that machine from the internet.
> > > I do have Ubuntu on my laptop, and have Win-XP in VirtualBox on that
> > > machine, but am running low on space, so I was considering just
> > > using a
> > > spare desktop machine, putting Ubuntu and VirtualBox on it, and
> > > using
> > > that machine to do my development work.  I wouldn't bother with
> > > Norton,
> [...]

If my reply seems terse or short, it's nothing personal.
Jeff MacDonald
jeff at bignose.ca