[nSLUG] Security in virtual machines

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 17 17:08:10 ADT 2014

On Wed, 2014-09-17 at 10:26 -0300, Chris R. Thompson wrote:
> Windows xp?
> Internet Explorer...
> ...wait.wut?
> did I catch that right, your developing in this environment? Just
> stop.
Yes, Chris, I do agree -but the situation is not really that bad -or
that simple.  Many years ago I developed this application, free, for a
family resource organization which obtains the majority of its funding
from gifts, grants, etc.  In order to obtain this funding, and for their
own operation, they require many statistics and reports.   These reports
cover such things as: what services are provided to how many families,
individuals, children; what programs are offered, how frequently, how
well attended, in what areas, in which geographic areas within a region
do the clients live, etc.  Minor changes to the system are required as
circumstances change -for instance, the most recent change was prompted
by the requirement of ten-digit telephone numbers.
The system will run on any Windows release, but my development package
will not.  FoxPro is no longer supported by Microsoft, and the release I
purchased when I retired (18 years ago) was followed by two more
releases before Microsoft dropped support.
The application should be replaced by something more easily supported,
on more modern equipment, etc. -but that would not be trivial.
Frank