[nSLUG] Security in virtual machines

Chris R. Thompson chris.thompson at solutioninc.com
Wed Sep 17 10:26:50 ADT 2014

Windows xp?
Internet Explorer...
...wait.wut?
did I catch that right, your developing in this environment? Just stop.

On 09/16/2014 11:17 PM, Frank Geitzler wrote:

	Thanks to both Stephen Gregory and to Gerald Ruderman.  That does answer
	my question.  I still use Windows XP on a  desktop machine which is not
	connected to the internet, to support an application for which I have a
	development package (Visual Foxpro).  I attempted to update the Norton
	Antivirus I have on that machine a number of months ago, and while doing
	so was told that a problem was encountered, for which I had to  remove
	and reinstall the package.  When attempting to do so, I was told that my
	Internet Explorer was at the wrong level, and I would have to update it
	as well.  Since Microsoft had already dropped XP support, I chose not to
	do so, but to just disconnect that machine from the internet.
	I do have Ubuntu on my laptop, and have Win-XP in VirtualBox on that
	machine, but am running low on space, so I was considering just using a
	spare desktop machine, putting Ubuntu and VirtualBox on it, and using
	that machine to do my development work.  I wouldn't bother with Norton,
	I might use Avast! or something similar -much simpler to install,
	anyway.
	Frank
	On Tue, 2014-09-16 at 11:29 -0400, Stephen Gregory wrote:
	> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Frank Geitzler
	> <frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca> <mailto:frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca>  wrote:
	> >
	> > Can a virus-scanner (eg. Norton, or even Avast!) be run in a VM?
	>
	> Absolutely. Most of the time a VM is just another computer. Software
	> in a VM generally works unless it wants direct access to hardware such
	> as a GPU, or tries to bit bang a parallel port. (even then if your
	> computer has iommu support direct hardware access can be pretty good.)

Christopher Thompson | Client Care | SolutionInc Limited
Office: +1.902.420-0077 | Fax: +1.902.420.0233

Email: chris.thompson at solutioninc.com
Website: www.solutioninc.com <http://www.solutioninc.com/>

SolutionInc Limited - Simplifying Internet Access

SolutionInc Limited – Simplifying Internet Access With operations in more than 45 countries worldwide, SolutionInc is an established global leader in
Internet, centralized hotspot connectivity, billing and management solutions. SolutionInc provides software and services to the hospitality and
telecommunications industries through its award-winning, patented technology software products: SolutionIP™ and SolutionIP™ Enterprise.
Through 700,000+ touch points, SolutionIP™ allows people to easily and securely connect to the Internet from locations such as hotel rooms, convention
 centres, universities, restaurants and airports. Patent Information <http://www.solutioninc.com/patents/>

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately at 902 420 0077 or reply by e-mail to the sender and destroy the original communication.

 Thank you.