[nSLUG] Security in virtual machines

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 16 23:17:53 ADT 2014

Thanks to both Stephen Gregory and to Gerald Ruderman.  That does answer
my question.  I still use Windows XP on a  desktop machine which is not
connected to the internet, to support an application for which I have a
development package (Visual Foxpro).  I attempted to update the Norton
Antivirus I have on that machine a number of months ago, and while doing
so was told that a problem was encountered, for which I had to  remove
and reinstall the package.  When attempting to do so, I was told that my
Internet Explorer was at the wrong level, and I would have to update it
as well.  Since Microsoft had already dropped XP support, I chose not to
do so, but to just disconnect that machine from the internet.
I do have Ubuntu on my laptop, and have Win-XP in VirtualBox on that
machine, but am running low on space, so I was considering just using a
spare desktop machine, putting Ubuntu and VirtualBox on it, and using
that machine to do my development work.  I wouldn't bother with Norton,
I might use Avast! or something similar -much simpler to install,
anyway.
Frank