[nSLUG] Security in virtual machines

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 10:58:37 ADT 2014

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Gerald Ruderman <linux at zdoit.airpost.net>
wrote:

> Thanks for all the suggestions. I have some reading and testing to do.
>
> Gerald

You should think about the nature of the threats to your systems.  Are you
likely
to be a specific target for attacks or is the main concern with hackers
trying to
collect the bounty for adding your box to a botnet, credit card data they
can sell?
These days the badies looking for credit card data are more likely to go
for big
scores on the vendor side.  Do you have "marketable" documents (internal
workplace documents or intimate personal docs)?

If you use a consumer router then you might want to run a linux or BSD
firewall on a low-power system.  Those can take a lot of configuration
effort, but I think there
are good "canned" configs available now so you might get away with only
minor
tweaking.

If you need to protect documents you might want to use encrypted storage.

> On 9/11/14 23:32, Stephen Gregory wrote:
> > On 11/09/14 08:14 PM, Stephen Yorke wrote:
> >> Even a rooted machine is pretty safe unless the program can inject into
> >> the VHD, VHDX, VMDK, etc disk image file.
> > That is not all that hard to do. Depending on how the VM hooks into the
> > keyboard a keystroke logger may work as well. Once the host is
> > compromised all bets are off.
> >
> > I second George White's recommendation: the host is used to run the VMs
> > only. Seperate VMs are used for banking, day to day, and more VMs as
> > required. I would not worry about "locking down" the VMs apart from
> > hardening the web browsers especially on the banking VM.
> >
> > Consider using different colour schemes on each desktop. It helps to
> > prevent the simple mistake of visiting facebook on the banking VM and
> > similar.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia