[nSLUG] Security in virtual machines

Rory rory at unixism.org
Thu Sep 11 14:11:30 ADT 2014

A VM will never quite achieve parity with a dedicated box for security.
A dedicated box will only share an ethernet network with the host while
a VM shares many other resources.

However, you can get close by treating the VM as if it is in a hostile
environment. Tight firewall rules, full disk encryption, encrypted
communication and careful use of applications and websites all go a long
way to making it very difficult to compromise from the host machine.

So, yes, you can set the barrier to compromise pretty high with a VM and
therefore gain some security compared with using the same host you use
for all computing.