[nSLUG] Synaptics USB touchpad

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 08:10:13 ADT 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 3:17 AM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> Just to follow up, for the record, to suggestions made here:
>
> AFAICT, the Synaptics {touch,click}pad with USB ID 06cb:2970 on an
> Acer E17-721 laptop is the coolest, newest thing [1] and unsupported
> by any extant kernel module or driver. That may be wrong but appears
> to be the case.

That seems to be a "Windows Precision Touchpad"
<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/touchpad>, which says:

"Precision touchpads are a new kind of touchpad designed for PCs that run
Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1."

There is Synaptics Gesture Suite <
http://www.synaptics.com/en/gesture-suite-linux.php>:
"SGS-L is provided free of charge to Synaptics OEM/ODM partners
when ordered with Synaptics TouchPad and ClickPad™ products", so
there may be some hope that Acer will provide drivers.  Also see:
<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE2Mg>

I can get touchpad data at the command line using the method in
> Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt but it doesn't show any effect in X.
>
> I can get data from Fn-F7 from "cat /dev/input/eventN" (for correct N)
> but it doesn't toggle the touchpad (which is what it's supposed to do.)
>
> Developers are of the opinion that Synaptics is less that optimally
> forthcoming with OSS devel support.

Yes -- sounds like they are only talking to OEM's.

Any brilliant insights or pointers to a kernel hacker who's keen to
> work on this still welcome but, lacking that, I'm resigned to using an
> external USB mouse for the foreseeable future.

I hear good things about the Apple external USB touchpad on linux.

Do you just want conventional touchpad functions or are you looking for
multitouch gestures support?   Multitouch is based on touchscreen
technology,
so is not a matter of hacking a legacy touchpad driver.

There is TouchEgg <https://code.google.com/p/touchegg/wiki/FAQ>
which runs on uTouch <http://lwn.net/Articles/497905/>

Petter Hutterer <http://who-t.blogspot.ca/2014_04_01_archive.html>,
<
http://who-t.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/xorg-synaptics-support-for-lenovo-t440.html>
has
been working on this stuff.   You should be able to find the USB device ID
for
the recent  Lenovo touchpads to see if they are the same as yours.

> Tnx,
> - Mike
>

> [1]
> http://article.wn.com/view/2014/04/22/Acer_Selects_Synaptics_Precision_TouchPad_Solutions_for_E_Se_9/