[nSLUG] Re: Synaptics USB touchpad

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Sep 2 03:17:31 ADT 2014

Just to follow up, for the record, to suggestions made here:

AFAICT, the Synaptics {touch,click}pad with USB ID 06cb:2970 on an
Acer E17-721 laptop is the coolest, newest thing [1] and unsupported
by any extant kernel module or driver. That may be wrong but appears
to be the case.

I can get touchpad data at the command line using the method in
Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt but it doesn't show any effect in X.

I can get data from Fn-F7 from "cat /dev/input/eventN" (for correct N)
but it doesn't toggle the touchpad (which is what it's supposed to do.)

Developers are of the opinion that Synaptics is less that optimally
forthcoming with OSS devel support.

Any brilliant insights or pointers to a kernel hacker who's keen to
work on this still welcome but, lacking that, I'm resigned to using an
external USB mouse for the foreseeable future.

Tnx,
- Mike

[1] http://article.wn.com/view/2014/04/22/Acer_Selects_Synaptics_Precision_TouchPad_Solutions_for_E_Se_9/

                                                           /V\